What the #@$*?

Eating locally sourced food is a great way to help our planet, our communities, and our health! By supporting local farmers, we keep our dollars local. By eating fresh seasonal food, we help the environment; and by eating sustainably humanely produced food, we nourish our physical and spiritual health. It's not always easy; it requires a change in our routines and attitudes. Follow along as I give it a try, with my husband and 2 teenage sons!

Monday, July 18, 2011

Houston, we have tomatoes!

Yes they have finally started to ripen and they are delicious! Everyday there are more ready to be picked, my kid has eaten most of them right off the vine, but today there were so many, he couldn't finish them all lol!


The whole week has been a delightful produce extravaganza, I have spent most of my time in the kitchen!


Blueberry and blackberry buckles, tortillas, salsa, potatoes fried, baked, boiled, peppers stuffed with cheese, creamy mozzarella, bread, even a batch of cream cheese (don't ask how we did it, but somehow we did!) have all kept me busy this week!


I bought a bread machine at a yardsale on Saturday, and as expected, was slightly disappointing. The dough kneading blade gets baked into the bread, then when you cut it out, it leaves a big ol' hole in the bottom of the bread, making only the end few slices usable for sandwiches (ah sandwiches, the bane of my existence!), which seems like a bizarre engineering oversight!
Also of course all the recipes in the booklet call for bread flour, which I am not using, so I have been baking some experimental loaves trying to get the gluten/yeast/moisture combination right. I have made a couple decent loaves, but they are so small and cuboidal and then the big hole in the bottom, aye carumba!
After some online research of bread machine reviews, I think I am going to look around for a West Bend one, with the horizontal loaf shape and double kneading paddles. My mom offered to buy one for me, so I will make do with the $10 yard sale one til then. Overall I am glad I bought it, for experiemental reasons, and also because it doesn't use much flour (3 cups vs 10 cups for my handmade bread) and some of the bread is definitely usable, the best part is that I just have to put the ingredients in, and then 3 hrs later, it is ready with no foot-(hand)-work by me (or dirty floury bowls/countertops!)! So it will be fine until I find the one I want at a decent price.


It can also be used to just make dough, so I may give it a try with noodles and/or tortillas. Although today my kid made another scrumptious batch of those by hand, and they should last the week.


Oh man, I made a zucchini casserole yesterday that was like heaven! I made a crust for the bottom, sliced the zucchini horizontally, pretty thinly, then made an egg, homemade cream cheese, milk and swiss 'batter' to pour over the zucchini, then sprinkled the top with breadcrumbs (heaven knows I have plenty of those lol) and more cheese, and then baked it until the egg was set. mmmmmmmmmmmmm soooo good! Disclaimer: I LOVE zucchini, I can't think of any zucchini dish I have ever had that I didn't love. My husband wasn't wow-ed by it, although he ate it, but he is never really much of a zucchini fan (except for the primavera dish i make with the canned tomatoes, black olives and artichokes), but it was really good!

Today we had grilled mozzarella sandwiches with tomatoes, olive oil and basil (mine also had grilled zucchini!) for lunch- SCRUMPTCH!

Overall, easy week of local eating, lotsa good stuff from the farm and the garden, plus I am keeping up with breads and dairy products. I am finding it easier to just see what I have and then figure out what to make with it, rather than deciding what to make and then buying the ingredients for it. And I am getting much better at using things while they are fresh, instead of waiting for inspiration to strike. Some meals might seem a little disjointed, but that is just an error of perception. I am used to the 'grocery store way' of get whatever you want when you want it, but I am slowly adjusting to 'enjoy what you have while it is available'.

The only foods I bought from the grocery store this week are my beloved sugar-free french vanilla flavored non-dairy creamer, canned and dried beans, olives, vital wheat gluten, vinegar, mayo, bbq sauce, pnut butter, etc.
No produce (I even stopped buying avocados!), no dairy, definitely no meat, no baked goods. I have been buying a few 2 liters of diet soda for my husband's lunches, and a few bags of chips for the kids, oh and some popsicles, because they were on sale plus I had a coupon.

Definitely everyone is adjusting much better and overall the rebellion seems to have died down considerably.
Like everything in life, we are getting used to it, and the discomfort of change is going away.

But I assure you we are eating very well here! No one is going hungry, and we seem to be appreciating each bite a little more (well maybe just I am lol!) because food is more of a process now, does that make sense? Not just more work per se, but more planning maybe? Or more faith that the earth/universe will provide? I'm not sure, it is tough to explain. I just feel grateful for each bright yellow pear tomato I pull off the vine, and each pork chop and each loaf of bread. Every bite tastes like nourishment... I never noticed that before... I guess it has something to do with the mindfulness of eating this way, I imagine vegetarians must feel this too...

Ok I know I am rattling on!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed with you Faith! I'm really enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWWWW thanks Leslie! =) No need to be impressed, I'm THRILLED you are enjoying it! If you ever think of any questions, please do not hesitate to ask, I sometimes feel like maybe I am not very clear....

    ReplyDelete